Monday, March 23, 2009

Jewelry Braid

I finished this project a few weeks ago, but we just got in hung this weekend. I got the idea for this jewelry hanger from the purse straps I made for my last purse



Here's how I did it:
  1. Cut 18 strips of fabric 2" by 45" long. (I used some scraps that weren't quite long enough, so just cut them so you have enough for the total length.)
  2. Sew them together in sections of 3 so that you have 6 total strips, all about 135" long. 
  3. Stack them all together, and tie a knot in one end, with about 2" of strip hanging out of the knot. 
  4. Attach a large safety pin to the knot, and anchor that to something sturdy in an area with a LOT of space. I used our old couches, but a mattress also works. 
  5. Braid these strips. You'll have 2 strips together for a total of 3 to braid with. 
  6. Knot them all at the end and trim those ends up to about 2" hanging out to match the other end. 
  7. Sew as many buttons along the facing side of the braid as you'd like. I did them about every 3" or 4" with a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes. 
  8. Hang where you'd like. This was the trick party for me, because it needed to be anchored to the mirror. Tom put a couple small nails into the back edge where you can't see for me to hang the braid from. 

No comments: