Saturday, March 7, 2009

Dress Making is Not for Me!


I have this super cute dress pattern from Favorite Things that I've been trying to get the guts to make for the past couple months. I finally decided that since I was scared it would not fit or something, I'd make it out of some cheap $1.67 a yard Wal-Mart fabric so that I wouldn't be bummed that I'd wasted my nice fabric if that happened. Well, it's a good thing I did that! 

Back in January I made a skirt from a different Favorite Things pattern, that also came out horribly, except with that one, I used my nice fabric. It frustrated me so much! Actually it still does. I'm beginning to think it might be a problem with the pattern company. Both were pretty simple patterns, very easy to understand and follow. The skirt came out looking like it wold fit someone 3 times my size even though the top couple tiers fit well. I think I will probably end up just shortening that one. The dress also came out looking like it was made for a much larger person. This is so odd, because I made a size even smaller than I measured, because it seemed so ridiculous! I got the pattern pieces all cut out and even pinned them together on me, and it looked like it would be a fairly decent fit. I think I'm going to have to stick to the tried and true Amy Butler and Anna Maria Horner patterns. At least they fit well when I make them! Anyone want to give a stab at the dress pattern? It's yours free if you do! 

Just for laughs, here are the pictures of the 2 things I've made with Favorite Things patterns. :)



2 comments:

AP Mommy said...

The skirt is cute, you are right shorter and it should work out great. The dress - yes very smock like. Good call on cheap fabric... I like the skirt you wore to my shower!!

Mary said...

I laughed out loud when I saw how big that dress was...looks like a Weight Watchers before and after photo with you holding it up like that. You just made my day! (But I am sorry it didn't turn out. :-()