Monday, February 9, 2009

The Purse Bag Thing


A few weeks ago I stumbled across Anna Maria Horner, a somewhat new fabric designer. I fell in love with her designs and colors, and even her patterns. I flipped through her book Seams to Me at Barnes & Noble one day, and then went home to find it for half the price on half.com! After ordering, it arrived a few days later. 

There are some super cute patterns in the book I'd like to try, including a skirt, some 9 inch storage tote cubes, another bag, a dress cover, and a few ideas for some hand applique. The book overall is a great beginners how-to-sew guide as well. I learned a few new things about clipping corners and curves as I worked through the purse pattern I used. 

In the end I settled on the "I'll have one of everything bag" pattern. I ordered a few fat quarters from Anna Maria's new line of fabric called Good Folks, and a couple half yards from laniejane when they had a free shipping sale last week.  I started cutting it out on Saturday while Tom was working on our new computer, and spent the afternoon on Sunday sewing it all together. It was so easy! 
While I was working on it, Tom thought it was a hat for some reason, which I find pretty funny, because I'm sure everyone could picture me wearing a hat as vivid as this! 

It is lined, but has no pockets. I think it would be pretty easy to add pockets if I make this pattern again. I absolutely love the braided straps! 
(They actually inspired another project I've been working on that I'll try to finish and post in the next couple days as well!) At first I wasn't sure if I liked the tassel ties on the ends, but I think I've decided they're fun now. :) The size is great, but I think without pockets I'll need to find a little zip-case of some sort to put things like my chapstick in so it doesn't get lost in the bottom!  


1 comment:

AP Mommy said...

This is sooo cute!!!