Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Halcyone's Hexagon Bib

I saw a picture of a bib someone had made with hexagons that I got my idea from. I have no idea where the picture came from, but here is what I ended up with!


I started by making hexagons. This meathod is called English Paper Piecing. This video is an excellent tutorial if you want to give it a try! Here are the steps I followed:
  • Make evenly shaped hexagons out of cardstock scraps.
  • Cut fabric scraps to go over the paper. I'd recommend a little more than a 1/4" allowance.
  • Baste the fabric over the hexagons.
  • Lay the hexagons out to make sure you have the colors set up in a way you like.
  • Whip stitch the edges of the hexagons together at the edges.
  • Iron once they're all sewn together
  • Remove baste stitching and pull out papers. If the papers don't look too worn, you can save and use them again.

Once I had the hexagons all sewn together, I cut a piece of fabric and sewed it across the top. I used a piece of an old skirt for the back. To get the pieces to stick together for when I cut out the pattern, I very lightly spray basted the backing, a piece of warm and natural cotton batting, and the hexagon piece together. After it dried, I pinned a pattern I made (I traced a Carter's bib, making the neck space a little bigger.) to the fabric stack and cut it out. I machine quilted the layers together. For the binding I used some bias cut binding made from more scraps I had. To finish it up, I used some great 16mm snaps (no sew!) from the Snap Source. Now I can't wait to use it!



2 comments:

AP Mommy said...

That is super cute - great job!

Unknown said...

I agree!! SUPER cute!! You are so creative... I wish I could sew like you... um, or at all ;) Haly is going to look so cute in it.